Florida Outdoors RV

Stuart: (772) 446-1370
Okeechobee: (863) 271-9988
Sebring: (863) 657-4542

Recreational Vehicle Glossary

Class A (Type A) Motorhomes: Class A or type A motorhomes are the largest of  RVs and often resemble large buses. Unlike travel trailers, the living and driving area are all one piece. They range in length from 30ft - 45ft and run on gas or diesel. Many have 2 - 3 slide outs, a kitchen, bedroom and bathroom.

Class B (Type B) Motorhomes: Class B motorhomes are the smallest among motorized RVs and generally sit on a minivan chassis. Usually the roof is raised for headroom. These RVs often land in the Luxury category.

Class C (Type C) Motorhomes: Class C or type C motorhomes is a mid-range RV and ranges from 21 - 35 feet. Prices range from $40,000 - $200,000. These motorhomes are best suited for families, and are most known for the overhead sleeping space above the driver. Most type C's sit on a E-450 Ford Chassis or similar. Some models sleep up to 8 people.

Class B Plus (Type B Plus) Motorhomes: A Class B Plus motorhomes are similar to Class C motorhomes. However, the floor plans are generally geared toward 2 person travel and not family. The space above the driver is usually smaller and has an entertainment and storage instead of sleeping space.

Travel Trailer (Trailer Camper): These towable trailers are outfitted with kitchen appliances, sleeping accommodations, and plumbing. Smaller travel trailers can be towed with a SUV, cars and your truck. They range in size from 10ft - 35ft and cost anywhere from $8,000 - $95,000.  

Fifth Wheel (5th Wheel) RV: The fifth wheel RV is a trailer that is towed by larger pick up truck using a fifth wheel hitch. It has a split floor plan and usually offers a bigger floor plan than travel trailers.

Toy Hauler: Toy Haulers are travel trailers or motorhomes that have the ability to carry ATVs, motorcycles, golf carts and small cars. Most toy haulers have a garage in the back end of the RV.

Floor Plan or Layout: A floorplan is diagram or drawing of a recreational vehicle that shows where all rooms, appliances and slide outs are located.

Slide Out: A slide out is an expandable room that gives an RV more space. RVs can have as many as 5 slide outs. They are generally on electronic tracks that come out by pushing a button.

Black Tank: Black tanks are large black plastic compartments that hold the sewer waste in an RV.

Grey Tank: Grey tanks are large white plastic compartments that hold water waste in an RV. These tanks generally carry shower and sink waste and not human waste.

Fresh Water Tank: The fresh water tank holds clean potable water for an RV.

Aluminum Framed Construction: This is a type of construction process using aluminum frames for the RV side walls as opposed to using wood. It is claimed to be lighter, water damage resistant, and stronger.

Fiberglass Cap: This refers to the type of material used on the front of a travel trailer or fifth wheel. Fiberglass material can withstand the rigors of weather and travel better than traditional sidewall caps.

Docking lights: A docking light is a special light installed on the front of the RV to assist while hitching up a RV to a tow vehicle.

In-ceiling Speakers: In-Ceiling Speakers are speakers installed as part of the RV ceiling and are usually flush with the ceiling.

Winterizing: Winterizing is a process to prepare an RV cold weather. It involves making sure that all water is drained from pipes and water heaters in an RV.

Anode Rod: This is a rod usually made of magnesium or aluminum installed in water heaters to protect from the build up of rust. They protect the other metal in the water by corroding first. You should inspect this regularly.

Axle Ratio: Axle Ratio is the number of times a pinion turns in relation to the amount of times the ring gear turns. The higher the ratio (ie.4:1), the more torque. The lower the ratio, (3:1) you'll get less torque but more speed.

Boondocking: Boondocking is a type of camping or RVing where there is no power or water source. It is also referred to as "Off the Grid" camping or "Dry Camping."

Brake Controller: A brake controller is located in the tow vehicle and applies the trailers brakes in relation to the amount of pressure being placed on the tow vehicle's brakes.

Breakaway Switch: A breakaway switch kit is a device enables your trailer's brakes in the event that your trailer becomes unhitched from your tow vehicle while in motion.

BTU (British Thermal Unit): A BTU in the RV industry refers to a measure of power needed as it relates to furnaces and air conditioners.

Caster (Wheel alignment): The Caster or wheel alignment is when a vehicle's suspension or steering system is out of line and is put back correctly. Having a wheel alignment problem can cause tire wear and poor gas mileage. 

Condensation: Condensation is the process of gas/vapor turning to water under certain conditions. This can happen in to an RV when the inside of your RV is cool while the outside is humid. Be careful of too much condensation as it can create water damage over time.

** Power Converter:  Converts a power source with a particular voltage to a different voltage so certain appliances work. Many RVs need a converter for lights and other appliances.

Curb Weight or Net Weight: Refers to the weight of a trailer or motorhome with all necessary  components to operate not including cargo and passengers.

Dinette: A dinette is a special table made for the RV industry that has the functionality to turn into a bed or table.

DSI (Direct Spark Ignition):  A Direct Spark Ignition is a device used to light or ignite propaned power appliances.

Ducted AC: Ducted AC refers to air conditioning that is equally distributed through an RV by air ducts much like central air in a home. This allows for better energy usage.

Ducted Heat: Ducted heat refers to heating that is equally distributed through an RV by air ducts much like central air in a home. This allows for better energy usage.

Dual Electrical System:  A dual electrical system is an RV is usually comprised of two electric systems, 12V and 110V. Most RV appliances like lights and your radio run on 12V and require an inverter to convert 110V to 12V when plugged into a power source. 

Dually: A dually refers to a type of chassis that has two wheels on each rear axle. Many Class A motorhomes and large trucks have dually.

Engine Oil Cooler: This is a device that transfers heat from one thing to another. It works much like a radiator and cools down the engine oil.

Fan Switch: This is a switch used for fans on appliances that closes when a preset temperature is reached.

Furnace Ignition Control Board: This is a powered circuit board that automatically gives spark to an open gas valve. New models will try up to three time to give spark if needed.

Generator: A generator is a small engine that runs off of diesel or gas that provide power for lights, appliances and more.

Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR): Is the amount of weight that one axle is aloud. This is set by the manufacturer.

Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR): This is the combined weight of the tow vehicle, tow trailer, fuel, other fluids, passengers and cargo.

Gross Trailer Weight (GTW): This is the combined weight of a trailer, it's cargo and fluid that a vehicle is aloud to tow according to the manufacturer.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR): This is the combined weight of a tow vehicle loaded with cargo, fluids and passengers.

Heat Exchanger: Is a device that transfers heat from one source to another. For example, in an air conditioner, warmer air passes through cold coils turning the air cold.

Heat Strip: Heat strips are electric heaters often used in the air conditioning system to produce hot air.

Hitch Weight: Is the amount of weight that a tow trailer puts on the hitch of a tow vehicle.

Holding Tanks: Holding tanks refer to the group of tanks in an RV such as Black Tank, Grey Tank and Fresh Water Tank.

Hookups: Refers to stations at RV campgrounds where you can connect your RV to water, electicity and waste.

Igniter Electrode: Is a device used in grills and other propane appliances used to give spark and start the appliance.

Laminate: Laminate are boards or panels made up of several different materials using pressure, heat and adhesive.

Light Weight RV: A light weight RV is generally a travel trailer or fifth wheel that is light enough for smaller trucks and cars to tow.

Luxury RV: Luxury RVs refer to RVs that are made with extra features and better construction. They can range from $70,000  to well over 1 million dollars.

Limit Switch: Limit switches are used as a saftey percaution in machines when certain preset conditions are triggered.

Livability Packages:

Net Carrying Capacity or Payload Capacity: This refers to the maximum cargo weight a vehicle can carry according to manufacturers.

Pilot: A pilot is a light that is kept aflame in order to start an applicance like a propane oven, water heater or fridge.

Pop-up Trailer: A pop-up trailer is an small expandable trailer that can sleep up to 10 people and can be towed by a small vehicle.

Propane or LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas): Propane refers to a type of gas used often to power RV appliances like stove tops and refrigerators.

Rig: Is a slang word used to refer to a Class A Diesel motorhome.

Roof Air Conditioning: Roof air conditioning in an RV refers to the AC sitting atop the RV that sends cool air directly into the RV and likely not through ducts.

RV: RV is an abbreviation for Recreational Vehicle and refers to travel trailers, fifth wheels or motorhomes that has living accommodations.

Safety Chains: Safety chains are installed as a safety precaution between a travel trailer and tow vehicle. They keep the travel trailer from separating from the tow vehicle in case it becomes unhitched.

Self Contained: A term  describing a RV that has all the components for living like electricity, plumbing, sleeping and more without relying on an outside power/water source.

Thermocouple: A thermocouple is a sensor that can measure temperature using two different metals when heated.

Tongue Weight (TW):  The tongue weight is the amount of force that is put on the hitch from the coupler. The weight varies depending on how the weight on the RV is distributed.

Tow Bar: A tow bar is a bar installed on the back of a vehicles to tow a trailer or hold a device like a bike rack

Tow Dolly:  In the RV industry, a Tow Dolly is generally a half trailer that is used to tow a smaller vehicle behine a motorhome, travel trailer or fifth wheel.

Trailer Brakes: Trailer brakes are installed on a travel trailer or fifth wheel and are controlled in sync with the tow vehicle brakes.

Transmission Cooler: A heat exchanger that lets transmission fluid flow through and is cooled by air.

Frameless Windows: Frameless windows are windows that appear to have no frames on the outside of the RV. They are generally dark in color and look very modern.

Underbelly: The underbelly refers to bottom of a travel trailer or fifth wheel.

Unloaded Vehicle Weight or Dry Weight: This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer when not loaded with liquid, passengers or other extra equipment.

Van Conversion: A van conversion is type of RV where a person will convert a van into a living space. These are very similar to Class B motorhomes.

Weight Carrying Hitch: Is any hitch that does not use a weight distribution system.

Weight Distributing Hitch: This hitch uses a combination spring bars under tension in order to distribute weight to the front axles of the tow vehicle and trailer axles. They are also called "equalizer" hitches.

Wet Weight: This refers to the weight of your RV when all fluids are topped of like a fresh water tank, fuel etc.

Wheelbase: Is the distance between the front wheels and back wheels.

Yaw: Is the movement of a travel trailer or motorhome left or right off of it's normal course.

Dry Camping: Dry Camping is a style of camping with not access to water or electricity.

Awning: An awning is installed on the side of an RV to provide shade and protection and forms a porch. It is generally made of a strong plastic material and metal arms. Depending on the model, it could be an automatic or manual awning.

Rear Entertainment: Rear Entertainment is a type of RV floorplan that optimizes for TVs and comfort in the rear of the RV and is perfect for having company.

Front Kitchen: A Front Kitchen is a type of RV floorplan that optimizes for a kitchen in the front of an RV.

Rear Kitchen: A Rear Kitchen is a type of RV floorplan that optimizes for a kitchen in the rear of an RV.

Rear Bathroom: A Rear Bathroom is a type of RV floorplan that optimizes for a bathroom in the rear of an RV.

Rear Bedroom: A Rear Bedroom is a type of RV floorplan that optimizes for a bedroom in the rear of an RV.

Rear Living Room: A Rear Living is a type of RV floorplan that optimizes for living space in the rear of an RV.

Sleep Capacity: The sleeping capacity refers to the amount of people that can sleep in an RV.

Solid Surface Countertops: Solid Surface Countertops are counter surfaces in RVs that are generally made of a hard plastic, granite, or other high quality material.

RV Show: An RV show is a large event where multiple RV Dealerships, usually in the same region, come together to show off their products to potential customers.

RV Blowout: This is a sales term used when a RV Dealership is trying to sell certain inventory very quickly.

RV Trader: RV Trader is a website that lets RV owners and dealerships sell their RV through their high traffic website.

GoRVing: GoRVing is a website run by RVIA and promotes the RV lifestyle through education and other resources.

RVDA: The RVDA or Recreational Vehicle Dealership Association is an organization of RV dealerships that promote the RV industry through training, leadership, membership, and promotional programs.

FRVTA: The Florida Recreational Vehicle Trade Association promotes the RV industry through education, leadership, protection and promotion in Florida. They sponsor many of the RV shows in Florida.

Full Timers: Full Timers are people who have chosen to live in their RV as their primary residence.

Part Timers: Part Timers are people who have chose to live in their RV as their secondary place of residence and may only RV part of the year.

Snow Birds: Snow Birds refers to people who live in the Northern United States in the wamer months, but come down to Florida during the winter to warmer climates.

Weekenders: Weekenders refers to people who generally RV on weekends visiting local RV parks or attractions. These trips usually last about 3-4 days.

Adjustable Ball Mount: Is a special ball hitch that can be adjusted up or down according to your needs.

Airbag: An airbag is a safety bag that is triggered under certain conditions when a RV or vehicle is in an accident.

Airstreaming: Airstreaming is a term used by Airstream owners that they are experiencing the RV lifestyle.

Arctic Pack: This is a system put in some RVs, that when activated warm the holding tanks so they don't freeze.

Auxiliary battery: This is an extra batter that 12V devices or appliances can operate off. On a trailer, they are generally found toward the front.

Back-up camera: A back-up camera is a camera installed on the back of a motorhome to assist the driver in backing up. A monitor is usually located in the dashboard of the RV.

Side Cameras: Side cameras are cameras installed on the side of a motorhome to assist the driver when switching lanes or backing up. A monitor is usually located in the dashboard of the RV. The appropriate camera is shown in the monitor whenever the driver uses the run signal.

Full Body Paint: Full Body Paint refers to a RV that has an automobile type paint job covering the entire body of the RV. This is generally an extra option and costs more, but makes a better quality product.

Basement Model: A basement model is an RV that provides a bigger space in the storage compartments under the RV.

Blueboy/Blue-Boy: A portable holding tank used to transport waste from your camper to a dump site.

Brake Actuator: This is a device in a tow vehicle that controls the brake system of a trailer.

Bubble Level: Is a leveler attached to an RV, usually one the front and one on the side to assist in leveling your RV.

Bump Steer: Bump steer happens when the tires of your RV or vehicle goes in the wrong direction not directed by the steering wheel. If this is happening, seeing a mechanic is adviced.

Bumper-Mount Hitch: This is a hitch that attaches to a tow vehicle where other applications can be mounted. Bumber-Mount hitches are used when installing a bike rack or similar to the back of an motor home or tow vehicle.

Bumper-Pull: Is a term used in the RV industry referring to travel trailers.

Bunkhouse: A bunkhouse is a RV that has bunk beds in their floorplan. This type of RV is generally targeted toward the family with kids and can often sleep up to 6 or more people.

Cabcover: A cab cover is material used to protect an motorhome or travel trailer. Think of it like a jacket for RVs.

Camper: A camper is a trailer that has been outfitted for living or camping and can be pulled by a tow vehicle.

Camper Shell: A protective hard cover that goes on the bed of a truck.

Caravan: A caravan is a trailer that has been outfitted for living or camping and can be pulled by a tow vehicle. This term is generally used by people from Europe or the United Kingdom.

Cassette Toilet:  A toilet that holds waste in a separate removable container for later disposal.

Chassis Battery: A chassis battery is the battery in a motor home that is used primarily for the running of motor functions. This is not to be confused with the battery used for the other functions of an RV.  

Coach: Coach is a term used for Class A Diesel motor homes.

Curb Weight: This refers to the weight of a travel trailer or motor home that has all necessary equipment and fluids without passengers.



Diesel Puller: Diesel Puller is a term used to describe a Class A Diesel motorhome.

Diesel Pusher: Diesel Pusher is a term used to describe a Class A Diesel motorhome.

DSI Ignition

Dump Station: A dump station is a designated location where RVers can dumb waste from their grey or black tank.


Engine Oil Cooler

Equalizing Hitch

Final Drive Ratio

Fiver: Fiver is a slang term used to describe a Fifth Wheel RV.

FMCA: FMCA or Family Motor Coach Association is an organization that brings motorhome enthusiasts together by providing services, resources and memberships.

Frame-Mount Hitch

Full Hookup: Full hookup refers to RV parks or campsites that have connections available for power and sewer.

Galley: The galley is the kitchen area in a RV.

Gas Pusher: A gas pusher is a term that refers to Class A gas motorhomes.

Gear Vendor:




Heat Exchanger:

High Profile:

House Battery: The house battery is what powers everything in a RV that does not rely on a chassis battery.

HP: HP, or Horse Power refers to the amount of power your motorhome chassis has.


Hula Skirt:

Inverter: An inverter is an electronic panel that convert the power coming into the RV into power that the RV can use safely.

Island Queen:

Jackknife Sofa: A jackknife sofa is a special sofa found in many travel trailers that folds out into a bed, much like a futon and sleeps about 1 person.

Hide-A-Bed: A hide-a-bed is a bed that is concealed within a sofa. When fully extended, beds can sleep as many as 2 people.

KOA: KOA, also known as Kampgrounds of America is the biggest campground in America with nearly 500 locations.

CruiseInn: CruiseInn is a membership RV Park organization who's goal it is to provide the best in outdoor hospitality and was founded in 2013.


Leveling: Leveling refers to the process of making a RV level when setting up camp.

Limited-Slip Defferential

Generator: A generator is a device that gives power to an RV by running off of fuel (gas or diesel). In the RV Industry, Onan is one of the most common brands.

MH: MH is an abbreviation in the RV industry refering to motorhomes.

Minnie Winnie:

Motorcoach: Motorcoach is another word used for motorhomes.

NADA: NASA or National Automobile Dealers Association is an organization that provides information on automobiles, rvs and more for consumers and businesses. This data usually includes reviews, values, and buying/selling advice.

NCC (Net Carrying Capacity)

Nonpotable water: This is water that is not safe for humans to drink.


Park Model: A park model, in the RV industry refers to a travel trailer that resembles more of a home than an RV, but can still be moved by a tow vehicle. These models are generally bigger in size.

Part Timers: Part Timers are a type of camper or RVer that only go RVing a portion of their life. They often own a house in addition to a RV.

Patio Mat:

Payload Capciy



Pop-out: A pop-out is much like a slide-out, but are found in pop-up and hybrid campers. They don't usually slide out electronically like a slide-out, but manually, usually with soft sides and not hard walls.


Primitive Camping: This is type of camping is usually in places not frequented by most campers. It is also known as "off the grid" camping.

Pull-Through: This is a type of parking place in a RV campground allowing a trailer or motorhome to park in a RV slot from one direction and pull forward when leaving. This is best for large Class A motorhomes, so the driver doesn't have to backup.



Road Wander

Roof Air Conditioning

RVIA: The RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) is a national trade association of RV companies like manufacturers and part suppliers. On the consumer side, they run the GoRVing.com website.

RVDA certified: A certification given by the Recreational Vehicle Dealer's Association to RV technicians after taking the appropriate tests. The tests focus on safety and knowledge. 

Screen room


shore cord

shore power


Snowbird: Snowbird is a term used for a type of RVer who lives in warmer climates in the Winter (like Florida) and in colder climate during the Summer (like New York or Canada)


spring bar




sway control



Three-way refrigerators: These are RV fridges with the ability to run off electricity, propane, and 12V batteries.

Tip-out: A Tip out is a type of slide out that comes out by "tipping" and not electronically.


Tongue Weight

Tow Bar

Tow Car: This refers to a car that is towed behind an RV. Only certain cars are aloud by law to be towed behind a RV and is determined by size and weight.

Tiple towing






Wally World: This is a term used by many RVers when speaking of WalMart.

Weight-Distributing Hitch

Wet Weight

Wheel Base

Wide Body

Azdel Siding: Azdel Siding is a type of side walls used in RVs made of recycled plastic bottles instead of wood. Most Coachmen RV units use Azdel siding.

Spare Tire: This is an extra tire usually mounted on the back or underneath and RV to be used in case of a flat or blown out tire.

Gutter: Is a long piece of shaped plastic that catches condensation from a RV air conditioner and directs it away from the RV sidewall, thus saving ware and tear.

Consignment: This is a term used when someone wants a RV dealer to sell their RV for them. Generally, RV Dealers will do this free, but recieve any money above the amount agreed.

FW: Is an abbreviation used in the RV industry for Fifth Wheel

TV: Is an abbreviation used in the RV industry for Travel Trailer

Forest River: Forest River is one of the biggest RV manufacturers located in Indiana and is a Berkshire Hathaway Company.

Coachmen RV: Coachmen RV is a RV manufacturer, and is owned by Forest River.



RV Technician: An RV Technician is someone who specializes in fixing and repairing RVs.

Roof Inspection: A roof inspection is the process of inspection an RV roof for leaks or damage. This should be done at least every 6 months.

Walk Through: A "Walk Through" is a term used in the RV sales that refers to the process of a sales consultant or technician showing a consumer the features of an RV and how they work.

Tire Kickers: This is a term used in the RV sales industry referring to a customer that has not intention of buy, but just wants to look.

Onan Cummins: Onan Cummins is one of the biggest manufactures of generators for RVs.

Keystone RV

Cruiser RV

Prime Time RV

Stick and Tin: A term that refers to travel trailers made of aluminum and wood. These are generally associated with lower quality RVs but less expensive.

Automatic Leveling: This is a system on some trailers and motorhomes that level themselves electronically.

50 AMP Hookup

Pull Out Sprayer

Dual Well Sink

RV Park

Video Walk Around

Power Steps

Side Paneling


No Trade Price

Maxx Air Covers

Carefree of Colorado


Lightning RV

B - Back

Our Three Locations

Florida Outdoors RV  Stuart

1160 SE Federal Hwy
Stuart, FL 34994

Florida Outdoors RV Okeechobee

4300 US Highway 441 S
Okeechobee, FL 34974

Florida Outdoors RV Sebring

2651 US HIGHWAY 27 S
Sebring, FL 33870